Location: San Francisco, CA
Salary: $80,000 - $110,000 DOE
Supervisor: SBDC Region Director
Norcal SBDC's Tech Futures Group (hereafter TFG) propels technology companies to succeed through no-cost impact-driven mentorship. TFG works with tech companies in verticals including software, hardware, mobile, internet, telecom, life sciences, clean tech, and bio tech. Accepted clients have access to experienced Advisors who specialize in pitching to VCs, IP, law, financial projections, and SBIR/STTR grants. Since launching in June 2012, TFG has helped 25 companies to raise just under $30 million in funding by leveraging our unique ecosystem.
The TFG Director provides leadership for development, implementation, and daily operation of the TFG programs and activities; develops, enhances and maintains partnerships with corporate associates and collaborators in the business, technology, and venture capital community; and supervises and directs SBDC TFG staff and consultants as appropriate to meet objectives and program goals. This position is actively involved in resource development.
The TFG Director reports to the Northern California Small Business Development Center (Norcal SBDC) Region Director. Norcal SBDC is the fiscal host to TFG.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Establishes and maintains strong collaborations with local, regional and statewide organizations focused on technology-based business development and entrepreneurship including university technology transfer offices, business plan competitions, and investor forums;
- Establishes and maintains collaborations with business accelerators, incubators, venture capital and angel groups;
- Works with the Region Director to develop sources of funding for TFG including sponsorships by partner organizations;
- Provides oversight for and empowers team to maintain strong client portfolio;
- Sets annual goals with Entrepreneurs in Residence and oversees progress made towards goals;
- Identifies and executes on opportunities that will allow for the TFG Team to create further impact;
- Directs data analysis of performance, including use of benchmarks and metrics;
- Participates in SBDC Advisory Board and senior executive meetings;
- Assists Region Director in legislative activities related to technology and TFG;
- Manages the budget for the Tech Futures Group;
- Prepares regular program/narrative reports and data transmission to SBA and other funding entities;
- Oversees relationship between TFG and SBDC Centers; strengthens ties with Tech Liaisons at local SBDCs.
Required Knowledge and Abilities
- The technology sector–broadly–and multiple verticals within the technology field
- Venture capital and angel communities, culture, and funding processes
- Current landscape of technology incubators, accelerators and shared work spaces
- Technology startup processes and the right people to accelerate their development
- Budgeting and accounting principles and practices
- Data management and analysis concepts
- Influencers in the high-tech startup world and access to them
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with a variety of stakeholders
- Compose reports, correspondence and articles
- Speak in public and make presentations to small and large groups
- Analyze the relationship between financial performance and program performance
- Actively monitor and manage budgets
- Inspire and propel entrepreneurs forward
- Be influential in the entrepreneur and venture capital communities
- Bachelor's Degree in technology, business, finance, or a related field
- Master's Degree preferred
- A minimum of five years relevant experience working within one of the following fields; technology startups, tech transfer and commercialization, venture capital/angel groups, tech accelerators/incubators, or small business development
- Knowledge and experience in supervision of professional level staff
- Experience building partnerships in the tech sector
Qualified applicants should submit via email a letter of application, resume and three professional references to: firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline for applications is May 2, 2014. This position is open until filled.
Tech Futures Group receives SBA funding from Northern CA SBDC. Northern CA SBDC is funded by the federal Small Business Administration to provide business assistance services to entrepreneurs and businesses located throughout thirteen counties of Northern California including the entire San Francisco Bay Area.
This is not a state or federal position. Funding for this position is tied to a federal contract that is anticipated to be renewed annually, however funding after December 31, 2014 is not a certainty. This position is "at will."