Economic Impact Success Indicators
Since founding in June 2012 to December 2017
Our Success with SBIR/STTR Grants.
Tech Futures Group (TFG) clients significantly outperformed their California peers in successfully winning Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) government grants. In this highly competitive grant program, 15% of Phase I California state applications receive funds; 57% of TFG client applications were funded.
In last year for Phase I & II, TFG Clients received*:
• $5,503,542 out of $77,305,393 HHS total spending in northern California
• $1,154,573 out of $13,273,789 DOD total spending in northern California
• $759,963 out of $1,812,532 DHS total spending in northern California
• $2,672,267 out of $16,311,991 NSF total spending in northern California
* These numbers were compiled using the SBIR.gov website.
SBIR/STTR Grant Awardees Raise Equity:
Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) grant funding is one of the best launching platforms for a startup. Not only is the funding non-dilutive but also the award itself is a strong indicator for continued fund raising success. After winning an SBIR grant, over half of TFG clients have received additional outside funding, so far. Since TFG’s inception, these awardees received $21.1 million in outside grant and equity funds. Equity funding represents $16.5 million.
The below chart only reflects the half of TFG’s SBIR winners who went on to raise additional funds. TFG advisors continue to assist the other companies in fund raising.